The usage course is aimed towards users that are starting to work with OpenFOAM. Even though a background in CFD is advantageous, it is not essential. During the training, we cover all relevant parts needed for a user to be able to work independently on a given problem. It is important that participants have at least a basic understanding of the Linux operating system and how to work with the command line. If this is not the case, this can be covered in a very brief introduction as well.
Learn how to use Linux
- A short introduction to the Linux command line (selected topics if needed).
- Basic file system navigation and file/directory operations.
- Shell pipes, redirection.
- Regular expressions: grep and sed.
- BASH: script arguments, for loop, function.
- Simulation case overview
- Simulation case directory structure.
- Simulation control, discretization and solution parameters.
- OpenFOAM mesh structure and files.
- Fields and boundary conditions.
- Mesh generation with blockMesh
- Meshing a block with curved edges.
- Meshing a multi-block NACA airfoil case with curved edges.
- Simulation case setup (NACA)
- Boundary conditions.
- Simulation control.
- Solver execution with log files and pyFoam utilities.
- Basic post-processing in ParaView
- Common visualization filters.
- Data analysis.
- Efficient workflow in ParaView.
- Basic pre-processing in OpenFOAM
- Using the setFields application.
- Using the funkySetFields application.
- Data sampling with the postProcess utility.
- Sampling sets and surfaces, output formats, etc.
- The price is 850 Euro per participant, excluding 19% VAT.
- The total length of the course is 2 days.
- Topics of special interest to the participants are discussed at the end of the second day.
- Please bring your own laptop with a working OpenFOAM installation.
- Printed material is provided in English.
- Lunch, coffee and cookies are included.
- We recommend to book early, beause we limit the number of participants.